Monday, October 11, 2010

I'm Glad the Weekend is Over

Which is weird, I know. It's not a normal thing. Saturday was fun, we went mountain biking (and then spending the afternoon in the kitchen was cool too), but Sunday was, well, just weird. We woke up late, which is supposed to be nice, but to me it feels like I've wasted all day when I don't wake up till 9. I'm used to being out the door by 5:15 during the week, so my sleep in time used to be anytime past 6, and which usually fell sometime around 7. Which still left the vast majority of the morning to feel like I've gotten something done before the day was half over. Sleeping till 9 just doesn't do that. So Sunday I slept in late, took like two hours to get breakfast, which included another attempt at GF pancakes (and they came out pretty darn good, thank you very much), then laying on the couch for another few hours reading a Nora Roberts novel. It was a LOT of lying around and took most of the day. Thought briefly about going for a run/bike/swim/anything and didn't do it. It is my break time, after all. Then, whilst Casey was being productive in his way with homework and laundry, the dryer broke. Again. It faked us out before, but somehow managed a few more loads then quit again. We proceeded to disassemble the thing, thinking that maybe something was blocking the drum from spinning, only to find a whole bunch of lint. My nose is still plugged up from it, too. After some "diagnostics" which really was just cleaning out the darn thing and seeing if the motor worked with the load removed, we realized that it was in fact the motor that was dying. I began the task of figuring out how to take the dang thing out, and Casey went back to homework. I learned that if the fan and the motor of the dryer are "married" long enough, they will NOT come apart. So Casey came back and destroyed the fan so the motor would come out. Now after some searching, I realized that the most expensive component of the dryer to die happens to be the motor itself. Awesome. We did, however manage to find an awesome site that we could find a motor, fan, drum seal (because the old one has disintegrated completely), and belt for $103. Which is less than Sears wanted for just the motor at ~$110. Take THAT Sears. Now we'll be totally set if I can put it back together.

Got a bunch of strength/speed/etc testing planned for this week. After that, I guess I gotta get down and set up the plan for the 1/2 IM I'm gonna do in the spring. At least it looks I'll be able to go visit NM in January and possibly get some serious mileage in down there, on dry and warmer roads. And maybe some hills too! I'm really missing my old training groups at the moment, and definately the mountains, but that's ok. The weather here has been pretty good so far.

No comments: